Monday, April 12, 2010

"Introduction on the Atheist Blogroll"

My name is Eddie O'Reilly and my blog is called  Agnostic Thinking...  A place where I write about "Atheists, Agnostics and Queers Oh My!" - Well something like that anyway. I actually write about Religion (or my lack of it), Agnostic/Atheism, Rational Thinking, Gay Subculture And Related Topics.

I consider myself to be a Rationalist.  "It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."  - Carl Sagan

Since I can find no way to rationally justify a belief in a personal god, I guess that also makes me an Agnostic and or Atheist.  "I expect death to be nothingness, and for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism"  - Isaac Asimov

I have taken great comfort in discovering the online Agnostic/Atheist community. As both a "Doubter" and a "Homosexual" I've often felt both isolated and alone.  Kind of like  a fish out of water  in most social settings.

You might think that  "Nonbelievers"  would be readily embraced by the Gay Community.  But that's not true at all.  You'd be surprised at how many Religious Gays there really are.  Even though Homosexuality has been almost Universally Condemned by Mainstream Religions;  Gays still seem to find a way to Believe.
It's always amazed what lengths people will go to, just "To Believe".

Gay people make a God who accepts Gays.

One group thinks the Bible is the literal word of God. While another decides, No - it's merely interpretive.

Couples living out of wedlock create a God who accepts them.

Polygamists have miraculously discovered a God who accepts that. And so it goes, on and on.

It is never ending. Why do people insist on creating Gods? Why is having a God so damn important to them? I honestly don't understand.

I was raised Roman Catholic, parochial school and all and believe me that wasn't always easy. But I guess I was resistant to indoctrination.

From the earliest of ages, I was always getting in trouble during Catechism Class for asking what I thought were reasonable and rational questions. The Priests, Nuns and Brothers of course, just viewed me as being insolent.

To this day, I'm not really sure which was more difficult. "Coming Out" as a Gay Man or as an Atheist. I'm happy to say that in the Agnostic/Atheist community, I seem to have found acceptance as both. When people are freed from religious dogma and superstitious beliefs they tend to be a lot more open-minded and less judgmental.

I hope you'll enjoy reading my blog and please feel free to comment. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. It's true, sometimes nothing freaks people out more than telling them you don't believe in God.

    Some in Society will forgive an Ax Murderer or a Serial Killer before they accept a Nonbeliever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gays and Atheists, The Two Groups People Love to Hate!

    ReplyDelete